Monday, March 14, 2011

Theresa Rosalia Haselbauer Tobey -- 1875 - 1938 my great grandmother

Some memories from her daughter, Helen Tobey Burr related to me in 1998
Theresa "Tessie" Rosalia Haselbauer
 Mother must have had at least a grade school education.  I recollect that I always admired her handwriting, always observed in our excuses we carried to school, or her grocery lists.  It always puzzled me that she closed her notes to our teachers with the words (the closing): "and oblige" _____.  Her wording was always logical and punctuated correctly.  Theresa Haselbauer was pampered and spoiled (I believe), having been born after her two brothers!  She owned her own horse and rig, at a fairly early age.  (I suppose the equivalent of today's kid having his first car!)  The horse was white and was frequently stained from lying in the "effluvia" collecting in the stable.  On her own, Mom made a "diaper" for her horse out of her waterproof raincoat, fastened it on her horse's rear.  Mom was SO surprised in the morning to find her beautiful coat trampled in the mess in the straw in the stable.  Her own mother was furious at her, at such foolishness and such a loss!
Mom was a beautiful young girl.  She admitted that when Dad was courting her, she entertained him on the front piazza, while a second suitor was waiting to call on her on another porch on their home.  That hopeful young man was the grandfather of our present congressman from our area: Senator Armory Hougton, who is now rapidly approaching his retirement year.

I recall this story of Dad's (Charles Tobey) courtship:  they each possessed the great 3 wheel bikes.  On a Sunday afternoons they wheeled out for picnics.  Sometimes their destination was Rorick's Glen, on the side nearest to Corning - the south--the park still exists, close to Elmira, but in a different mode, more commercialized--less rustic as it was in those days.  I recollect, in the early 20's that mom would accompany Alice (5 years older than I) to a dance pavilion in Rorick's Glen.  Alice had no date.  Mom just chaperoned her.  We went by trolley car.  I sat with Mom while Alice "danced the light fantastic"  I guess it was called a "jitney dance".  The fellows bought 10 cent tickets to dance.  Alice was a popular "free-lance partner".  I recall getting SO tired before we could catch a trolley for home.  Mom was kept alert because of Alice's popularity and daring...she never did anything to disgrace us but she was more of a "free spirit" than any of us!  Mom tried to hold her in--and she succeeded, I know, but they did have quite a few arguments, which always distressed me.  I always took Mom's part (in my mind) and felt that Alice was unappreciative.  I guess this was in the "flapper period--the early 20's"

No comments:

Post a Comment